All Good Things Come to an End 745.2

by Michael Josephson on October 17, 2011

in Commentaries, Parenting, Family, The Good Life

In 1997, Bob Sims, the program manager of KNX-1070 in Los Angeles, invited me to record short personal editorials looking at the world through the lens of ethics and character. Fortunately, the CHARACTER COUNTS! Commentaries drew a following and have run daily for more than 14 successive years, making it one of the longest radio features in radio history.

It’s an incredibly gratifying experience to share family stories, parables and poems with an audience I never see. Despite the inherent anonymity of the process, however, I’ve always felt an intimate bond with listeners who allow me to prod their consciences, provoke them to challenge assumptions and cherished beliefs and offer strategies that might improve their lives.

Though many listeners label me, I’m proud that just as many think I am a liberal as a conservative (I don’t consider myself either), and few people know that I am a dedicated independent without any affiliation with or consistent affinity toward either party.

I have loved my L.A. platform, but all good things come to an end. Today is my last CHARACTER COUNTS! commentary on KNX.

It’s a wonderful irony that my last CHARACTER COUNTS! commentary is at the beginning of National CHARACTER COUNTS! Week.

I am sincerely grateful to KNX for providing me with the opportunity to be a part of your life for so many years.

I’m going to keep writing, so please subscribe to my new blog at WhatWillMatter.com.

This is Michael Josephson reminding you for the last time that CHARACTER COUNTS!

Kelvin October 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I happened across your spot on KNX just recently while desperate for traffic on a new, long commute. At first I thought, “Who is this self-righteous dude?” But as I heard more of the spots, I found many that I liked. Now I’m going to miss them but I hope the blog posts keep going because I check every day. Well done!

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:42 am

Thanks Kelvin, I’m hoping to master more online communication so I can still reach you and others. Thanks for sticking with the changes and please send your friends this way so we can build a dynamic online community.

David Rose October 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

Did KNX provide a substantial portion of the income needed for CC’s mission? If so, how much would each of us have to chip in for us to help CC to continue?

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:46 am

David, it’s so thoughtful of you to ask. In fact, KNX did pay only a small sum for the commentaries. What we lose, however, is a major platform to reach people which is our mission. And, of course, the fewer people we reach the fewer who donate. We do very much need financial support and any effort in that direction will be helpful and appreciated. You can easily donate at the website http://www.charactercounts.org. More important, however, please stay with us and send friends to our new way of communicating through this blog.

Scott October 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Everyday I looked so forward to your morning commentary on my drive to work. Often I would arrive to work early and find myself sitting in my car at the office waiting for your 6:51 am commentary. I couldn’t miss a day, it was like my morning coffee. I’m sad to see you go and I’ll miss that time of the morning very much but grateful for the wisdom you imparted and want to wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor. You said things we needed to hear, you said things I needed to hear. And of course I’ll remember, Character Counts !!

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 1:08 am

Scott, I wish I could still reach you in your car every day but I hope you will find a way to use this new blog format to allow me to stay in your life.

Leah October 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh, no! You were my inspirational message guru every morning. I started my day off with your messages. I would share your messages with my family, co-workers, and boss. I’ll certainly watch for your blog posts. All the best to you and thanking for making a difference in my life!

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 6:43 am

Hi Leah, please do watch for the blog posts. We are looking for new and better ways to stay in touch.

grace October 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I am sad that you will no longer be airing Character Counts. Every morning on my way to work, I always listen to the news to update myself about the general information happening around me and at the same time, I felt inspired before starting my day at work by listening to all the nice reminders that you talk about in the program. I even share it at work. But, like you said, all good things end…still thankful though that you will still have the online one. thanks for sharing on-air! Actually, one reason why i listen to the news is your show and it is always in time before I reach work that you get aired.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 6:44 am

Thanks for the nice words Grace. I do hope you will get comfortable with following the commentaries online. You will find new posts every weekday before you go to work.

Nancy Solem October 16, 2011 at 8:40 am

OMG Well, the tears are running down my face as I write this. I so enjoyed your comments every morning at 6:53 on KNX. I looked forward to it, I would turn on the radio even if my husband was not awake yet, so I could hear you. I have been out of town, and upon return, finding you were not on the radio, was a shock. They have cancelled soap operas All My Children, and in Feb., One Life To Live, and now YOU. You will honestly be missed. Thank you for all the wisdom you gave us.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 6:41 am

Nancy, you are right. Like the great soap operas every run comes to an end but I’m not completely done yet. Please stick with this blog and consider learning how to download and listen to the podcasts. Please visit often and send your friends.

Shar October 16, 2011 at 11:56 am

I have been enjoying your thought-provoking commentaries on KNX for years, and looked forward to hearing them. Today, for the first time ever, I logged onto your website – only to learn that your final radio broadcast occurred this week. Oh, no! You will be greatly missed, by your many faithful listeners. At least now, I have signed up for your newsletter, so I can still be reminded of the important lesson you shared with us all – that “Character counts”. Thank you, Mr. Josephson, for helping to be better people.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:36 am

Shar, They say when one door closes another opens. i hope that is so. Thanks for your kind words. I hope I will be able to still provoke your thoughts and, occasionally give you comfort through my commentaries. As I’ve been telling other listeners, it may take some adjusting but I’m going to continue to write commentaries and record them on podcasts. I hope you can find a new routine of visiting this blog (whatwillmatter.com) daily or waiting for the weekly e-mail. It’s a big adjustment for me as well but I hope to build an online community I can talk to. Please stay with us and encourage your friends to subscribe. I’m not giving up!

Anonymous October 17, 2011 at 7:01 am

Oh no. Thank you for your years of inspiration. You will be missed. I’m trying to smile.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:34 am

Please keep smiling but also send your friends to the new blog at http://www.whatwillmatter.com – MJ

Kathleen October 17, 2011 at 7:57 am

I have only just found you this last year, and on my drive through Laguna Canyon every morning you are my daily inspiration.
I am so very sorry that you will not be there in the morning, that gentle, kind voice and independent commentary.
You surely will be missed by many. My grandson knows about ” Character Counts” thru Bernice Ayers Middle School in San Clemente, and I was just sharing with him that he should listen in before school.
Please continue to give us your kind, open-hearted, inspirational commentary when and where ever you can.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:30 am

Kathleen, what a pleasure it is to hear I’ve been a source of inspiration for you. I hope to be able to stay in your life and in your grandsons. As I’ve been telling other listeners, it may take some adjusting but I’m going to continue to write commentaries and record them on podcasts. I hope you can find a new routine of visiting this blog (whatwillmatter.com) daily or waiting for the weekly e-mail. It’s a big adjustment for me as well but I hope to build an online community I can talk to. Please stay with us and encourage your friends to subscribe. I’m not giving up!

Diane October 17, 2011 at 8:29 am

I am absolutely devastated. It was a morning ritual for me every day when driving to work. I would make sure that I was listening at that moment to hear your encouraging words for the day. I craved the enlightenment and encouragement and shared your words of wisdom with co-workers, friends, and family on a regular basis. I broke down in hysterics when I heard and will so desperately miss hearing your voice. Bless you for being such a defining factor in my life. I will now need to become more tech savvy in order to get my “fix” everyday. Thank you for making me a better person.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:26 am

Diane, Thanks so much for your kind and uplifting comments. I am gratified to hear I’ve made a positive difference in your life and of your willingness to become more tech savvy. As I’ve been telling other listeners, it may take some adjusting but I’m going to continue to write commentaries and record them on podcasts. I hope you can find a new routine of visiting this blog (whatwillmatter.com) daily or waiting for the weekly e-mail. It’s a big adjustment for me as well but I hope to build an online community I can talk to. Please stay with us and encourage your friends to subscribe. I’m not giving up!

Karen October 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

I was in shock this morning as I heard today’s commentary – and immediately in tears, as I am now, writing this. For many, many years you have inspired me with your commentary. Sharing your heartfelt and personal stories has encouraged me to be a better person ~ and to not be too hard on myself when I don’t always live up to my goal. Sometimes we share your timely insights at work too. There will definitely be a gap in my morning commute. Someone above mentioned contributing so the daily commentaries can continue. Great suggestion! Would it be possible to have the daily commentary via podcast? I contribute to other podcasts to help defray costs. In the meantime, I will look forward to the blog posts. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself, for inspiring me and many others, and for taking on this important work. You have touched me personally and I am grateful. Your work will live on through everyone you’ve touched. May you have much success in all your future endeavors and may many more people be inspired by your work.

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:21 am

Karen, I am so grateful for your kind words. I am also pleased and proud I’ve been able to make a positive difference in your life. It may take some adjusting but I’m going to continue to write commentaries and record them on podcasts. i hope you can find a new routine of visiting this blog (whatwillmatter.com) daily or waiting for the weekly e-mail. It’s a big adjustment for me as well but i hope to build an online community I can talk to. Please stay with us and encourage your friends to subscribe. I’m not giving up!

Ana October 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

I am truly saddened by the news of not hearing what you had to say each morning on my way to work.
Sometimes it made me think others it made me analyze my actions, other times it gave me a quote to write on my Facebook wall and other times it gave me a good advise to give someone.
My jaw just dropped this morning as I heard the news of Character Counts last day on KNX. I looked forward to your comments every morning.
Your voice and thoughts will be absolutely missed on the air :(

Michael Josephson October 18, 2011 at 12:13 am

Thanks Ana, I hope you will start listening to the pod casts or just visit this blog more regularly to fill the gap. I’ve relied on the radio contact for so long it is going to be a new challenge relying more on the internet. I hope our new attempt to make the “newsletter” a more active blog will keep you coming back and encourage you to urge your friends to subscribe.

Mark Goodwin October 17, 2011 at 7:50 pm

WOW.. WTH.. off the air .. real sorry to hear that this morning on my early drive into Hella. Thank you for your pass stories, its help me take the high road in this upside down town. You will be missed!

raidmikha October 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm

HI
I live in San Diego and i been listen to you comment evert day just like every person you change his life to be better person and help make better character thank you and we will miss you your good story God bless.

Mal Davis October 18, 2011 at 4:29 am

Though I never heard you on KNX because I live in Southern New England. I became a big fan of Character Counts after first seeing it as a regular part of Dick Innes’ Weekend Encounter. I started receiving your e-mails some years ago at my office. Your musings have been timely & I’ve shared them with many over the years. While one door closes another opens, keep doing what you’re doing… Be Blessed!

Charles Honsberger October 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Michael, I listened to your broadcasts for many years and actually planned drive time around your scheduled broadcasts. Since I retired and moved out of the greater LA area, I have continued to read your messages in the newsletter and more recently the Facebook postings. Thank you!!

Michael Josephson October 19, 2011 at 8:53 am

Charles, thanks for your continued devotion to my commentaries. That means a lot to me. Please help us build a large and dynamic online community by advocating for us with your friends and let me know what else we can do to make regular visits to the site worthwhile.

Lorrie October 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Driving to work over Angeles Crest Hwy this morning just wasn’t the same without your words of wisdom to accompany me. I’m glad you are Face Book and have this blog, however I will miss hearing your voice each day on my morning commute. Thank you for having been there for all of us LA commuters these many years!

Michael Josephson October 19, 2011 at 8:51 am

Lorrie,

Thanks for your support and for coming to our new blog site. i hope you will visit regularly and listen to the podcasts as a substitute for the radio. I hope you will also tell your friends on Facebook and elsewhere. Please let me know what else we can do to build a dynamic online community.

Trisha Comer October 20, 2011 at 4:45 am

Thank you for accompanying me on my drive to work every morning for so many years! You were wonderful company. It was a necessary way to start my day, sipping on coffee and listening to you. My passenger seat was always yours on my morning drive to work. The emptiness in my car will surely be felt without your voice, kind words, and wisdom to carry me through my day. Thank you for all you have given me, my dear friend.

Michael Josephson October 20, 2011 at 5:30 am

Thanks Trisha, I love the image of sitting in your passenger seat and am inspired and encouraged that my words have been so valued by you. I hope you can find a way to use this blog and the podcasts (and in the near future, an app for your smart phone, if you have one) so that I can still be a daily companion. I hope to build a dynamic online community to justify the effort of continuing to write and record daily commentaries. Please tell your friends. – MJ

Heath October 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I am sad to have in my opinion the greatest spot in radio history ripped from my ears. Michael You have touched so many people’s lives. I know you have made a difference in the way I live mine. I am going to miss hearing you every morning on my way to work. I love you buddy….. You are not only someone I enjoy listening to, But someone I look up to.

Trisha Comer October 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

MJ, I will definitely use this blog to continue receiving your beautiful words of wisdom! Although I have a “dumb phone” (not a smart phone!), I DO have an iPad and look forward to any apps that you may have! I’ll spread the word.

Michelle October 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to hear your broadcasts. I am a teacher in Atlanta and I follow your emails. I would LOVE to see you pursue other National Broadcasting Stations. There has been some great broadcasting in the past years from James Dobson (which had a large outreach). We have not had any to speak of since. I will still follow your website and still invite friends like I have done all year. Good Luck!

Michael Josephson October 21, 2011 at 4:52 am

Thanks Michelle. we are looking at other options and remain hopeful. Meanwhile it’s good to know you will stay in touch through this blog. Have a great day!

Patty October 21, 2011 at 10:44 am

I just learned about your commentary being canceled. In a world that desperately needs more than bad news, your comments were always a welcome part of our family’s morning.

My adult son sent my husband and me a note about the cancellation. His simple words, refering to our time in the car on the way to school brought tears to my eyes:

“I remember you both always making sure that the radio was loud enough for all of us to listen to Michael Josephson. Thank you!”

From our entire family, thank you, Mr. Josephson for providing us with a daily moral touchstone.

God bless you.

Jim G. October 23, 2011 at 6:55 am

I too had to leave you a little note. My job starts early in the morning 5 am to be exact. I would always hear your commentaries at 451 am. I would stop for coffee every morning and would time my drive so that I would not miss your daily inspiration. There are several commentaries that stick in my mind. Being a better Father, being kind to people, telling the truth , standing up for what you believe, taking the shopping cart back into the store or back to the collection area. Michael you are a true inspiration to me and many of my close friends. Please continue your chosen path to make the world a better place in a self indulgent world.

Michael Josephson October 23, 2011 at 7:02 am

Jim, I am so glad my commentaries have been valued by you all this time. I hope you will find a way to download them by podcast or listen toi them on line as part of your future routine so we can stay in each other’s lives. Please visit the blog site often for new posts and features — and tell your friends.

margaret October 27, 2011 at 7:09 am

I’m so glad at least I can still find your commentary on line. Both my husband and I love Charter Counts. We were both raised in an old fashion household that share many of your thoughts, and we hope we can raise our boys with great charters.

Julia Thomas November 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I am soooo sad. I print(ed) out your commentaries and taped them to the shower so the boys would read them as they attended to their daily needs. Well…it’s the truth! It was a teachable moment with a captive audience. Hee hee.

You helped me raise my four boys! Thank you.

Michael Josephson November 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Thanks please stay with me on this new blog and like my What Will matter Face Book page. I am continuing to write and record daily.