by Michael Josephson on January 24, 2012

in Quotes, Observations, Worth Seeing

Post image for WORTH SEEING: Poster – “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” The loving words of encouragement by a maid/nanny to the little girl constantly berated by her mother in the movie “The Help.”

AIDA MURPHY February 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

Yes, we should all encourage and affirm one another, at all ages, but developing children and young adults, especially.

Chris Smithhisler February 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

If only all children heard this!

MMM June 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Yes, we should all strive to teach and inspire our children – not to mention, learn them good grammars

Aimee Procise Perkins July 13, 2012 at 5:02 am

@MMM – I struggle with the incorrect grammar in this quote too, but have come to the conclusion (for my family) that the message is much more important here. There is plenty of time to learn correct grammar. All children get mixed up about how to use words appropriately, but eventually get it right if they are well teached. ;)

MMM September 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Fair point, I agree wholeheartedly.

Rebecca dionne September 5, 2013 at 6:11 am

I think you mean “taught”, since we are being grammatically correct!!

And.. August 13, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I believe it is “teach them grammar well”, not “learn them good grammars”.

Tati November 11, 2012 at 8:15 am

Considering the era that the maid came up in…. all that should matter is the intent to love a child who was clearly not loved by her own mother. The maid was just slight years away from laws that banned blacks from reading and writing!

joana vasconcelos October 26, 2013 at 8:40 am

the grammar does not matter here: the maid could not read or write as the mother of the child could. and still the maid was trying to teach her to respect herself as the mother was neglecting her.

Christina November 11, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Having grown up in that same situation that little girl grew up in,I wished someone would have used those words on me. No matter how it is said those words mean the world to a person that is neglected. I have to remind myself that I is kind, I is smart, and that I is important! Everyday of my life ,I have to remind myself of that.