WORTH READING: “When You Thought I Wasn’t Looking” — a poem about parenting

by Michael Josephson on March 23, 2012

in Quotes, Observations, Worth Reading

Post image for WORTH READING: “When You Thought I Wasn’t Looking” — a poem about parenting

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you hang up my first painting on the refrigerator, and I wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I knew that little things are special things.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed there is a God I could always talk to.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I LOOKED… and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking.

– Author Unknown

melanie March 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I have seen this poem before and I love it. I have re-written it for coaching basketball and my players love it!

Michael Josephson March 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I’d love to see your version for basketball

melanie zerr April 5, 2012 at 11:17 am

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you shooting around with some friends after school, and I wanted to have more open gyms.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you teach a young child how to dribble, and I wanted to have more camps.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you shoot 15 free throws, when I only asked for 10, and I wished I had expected more from you.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you sitting on the bench eager to get in the game, and I wish I had played you more.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw that you gave everything you had on that last sprint, and I knew you wanted to be successful in life.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you save the story of the day, and I learned that you do care about the small things, that it is more about the person you become than the player you could be.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it’s alright to cry; it is your choice that follows that determines your future.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw the look in your eyes, the look of a champion, and I knew you realized there is more to life than the final score.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I looked….. and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking.

Vania April 2, 2012 at 5:29 am

Melanie, I would love to see that poem. Can you share it with us

Frank McDaniel March 31, 2012 at 5:14 am

The other night my oldest son wanted to take my wife and me out to dinner so of course we agreed :-) After a fine dinner and very good converstaion my son and his wife he asked the waitress for our check and then he told the waitress to give him the check for two marines who were in uniform eating a table near-by and not tell them who was paying for their meal…I couldn’t help it my eyes filled with water and I put my head down to blot them dry before anyone noticed. Sometime after we had left the restaurant I commended my son on what a nice jesture I thought he had performed, this is what he said…”Dad, when we were small and you took us ot to breakfast or dinner, I use to watch as you did the same thing, quitely, for soilders or old people on many occasions. It’s just one of those things you did when you thought I wasn’t watching…but I’ll let you know that your other three sons do the same thing.” I gave him a big Fatherly hug, and told him thanks.
Frank

Michael Josephson March 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

Great story. Your should be proud of your kids and what you did to make your kids proud of you.

Sabra darugar April 1, 2012 at 6:22 am

My eyes watered when I read Frank’s story. It has inspired me to continue performing kind deeds……
Frank should be very proud of himself. Thank you for sharing.

Kay April 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

There is more good in this world than we’re lead to believe. It’s the quiet heroes like Frank and his sons that need our attention rather than those among us that cause misery and get all the notoriety. Thanks, Frank and Michael, for reminding us of the good guys that live among us.

Josie April 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

I do not usually comment on anything I read,this was the first and worth the effort of signing up. Frank that story was inspiring and encouging to me s a human being. Good Job Frank, we need more dads like you. My son, like Michael, is blessed to have a terrific dad. Keep up the good work, now your grandchildren are watching (lol)

Frank M April 5, 2012 at 3:13 am

Thank you all for your comments…but I guess I’d have to give the credit to my Mother, she passed away many years ago. While my Dad was serving in Europe during WW2, my Mother went to work for a factory involved in the war efforts, she trained and worked very hard as a riviter (I was just a baby then and learned this after I grew up a little bit). I was so proud of her. We were poor monitorily but so rich in our family values with love at the center. My grandfather was declared legally blind and she was taking care of him, he lived with us (he and I became very close). I remember she so proud to be American, and so thankful for all of her blessings. One of my memories of her is one time as we were splurging to have lunch and a malt at the corner drug store in the 50′s (My older brother was in Korea then) she bought the lunch for a young soldier and his wife as they were traveling to another Base. So I guess I was actually looking when my Mother thought I wasn’t…I’m an ole Navy man, my sons are vererans and my third son has served aboard Air Force One for the past 7 years. I have so much to be thankful for…I am humbled by your kind remarks…
Frank

Juan Azcarate September 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm

“The true character of a person is what he does when no one is watching…”

Tena T April 1, 2013 at 9:46 am

I, too am a teacher. One of my grown sons is attending seminary in Ft. Worth Tx. he sent us a video of one of his first sermons. It was concerning why so may young people and young adults quit going to church. One of the comments he made was, “Young people are always watching, even if they don’t seem like they are”. His point was, it is important to live with integrity…people are watching, and they so want to see truth and life lived, not just preached! Thanks for the encouragement!
Tena