OBSERVATION: STIRRING THE POT ON THE GAY RIGHTS DISCOURSE. Reading all the letters responding to my views on gay rights, the arguments/beliefs against my position seem to center on one or more of these beliefs: 1) the word of God is clear and unequivocal homosexuality (or at least homosexual acts) are a sin and gay and lesbians who seek to marry are sinners, 2) being gay is a choice, a bad choice to give into temptation (there is no genetic disposition toward homosexuality) . . .

by Michael Josephson on February 8, 2013

in Choices, Quotes, Observations

3) people who support gay marriage and condone homosexuality are not only wrong, they have bad character, 4) allowing gay and lesbian people to marry will destroy or at least undermine the institution of marriage. What is your view on these beliefs?

naomi February 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Religion is a powerful motivator and a powerful way to control. Each organiztion has it’s ethics and stand by them no matter the consequences to others. If gay rights were a civil rights issue is one thing – but it is a religious issue that our states and nations must deal with – same as abortion. The US, which supposedly separates religion and state- gets “around” the real issues by its use of “funding”. So not “allowing abortion or gay marraige” is made into a financial issue and is subject to how “the people” vote on those issues when I think it is a religious issue. Religious organizations have to decide what to do ethically. Instead of “loosing followers, most of the organized religions groups don’t change and grow. And they Believe they are right! How do we educate and change “gut” reactions in people? What are we afraid of?

I believe in religion – it has an important place in society to have people aware of right and wrong – but when they promote “kill the infidel” or “shun the abuser” they do away with compassion, respect and understanding.

What we want in the world is good people who are compassionate, respectful, loving and caring. People who stand up for what they believe in, but respect others.

Does sexual orientation mean that you are bad? Please accept your fellow “man/woman” for who they are, not who You need them to be

naomi February 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Being gay is not a choice.
Who is “they” that interpret what “G_d” said?
The bible changes as society changes and it should.
We communicate more, care more and need to be more understanding and tolerant of things we don’t understand. It is not an excuse that “G_d” said, sometimes we have to do the right thing.

And g_d loves all his creators.

Kathleen Wood February 11, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Actually, the Bible has spanned the test of scrutiny from secular and religious leaders remaining authentic and virtually unchanged for thousands of years. There are currently paraphrased editions, however, of the Bible rather than authentic translations which may alter some wording and phrases. The actual Bible – New American Standard and New King James being the most up to date and modern yet true to the original languages of Arabic, Greek and Hebrew – have scientific research, archiology and even mathematical probability on its side when it comes to prophecies, authorship and authenticity dating back to original eye witness testimonies. Check out more about this subject and other interesting topics for your consideration at http://www.fixed-point.org as well as reading books by Christian apologetics and professors Ravi Zacharias, Josh McDowell and others. To quote one of my most all time favorite shows, “The Truth is out there!”

Sherry McBee February 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I understand the people with these beliefs have been taught this from a book they consider the “blue print” to living a good life as they believe the Bible is the inspired words of God and infallible. Their faith should be commended. I however believe in science and that the Bible is fallible. I believe the Bible, being written by man and translated by scribbles and oral history can be changed as time progresses to fit the needs of a certain group of people. Example the lower of Mary Magdalene to who’re when she was a disciple. So I believe the Bible to have solid teachings in most regards. However, when Jesus speaks of love, forgiveness and “not casting stones” I find it hard to comprehend Jesus will cast out gays and lesbians. When science and religion meet we need to take another look at religion. Not in it’s beliefs but if it’s fallibility. The Earth is not flat, it isn’t 6,000 years old etc. Homosexuality was not understood at the time of these writings. Now that we know it’s not a choice then we go back and ask the age old question, ” does God make mistakes?” People make homosexuality a sex thing when it’s about love just as everywhere marriage is about. I will not be angry at those who believe it sinful because it is their faith & the teachings they know to be true. I should not be called names or assumptions made about me because I believe love and compassion should be in our hearts leaving no room for anger and hatred. At times I admit I feel sorry for those who only rely on the Bible and discount science whether it be geography, archeology

Sherry McBee February 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I apologize I pushed “publish” before making my point.
In the Bible, Lot offers his virgin daughters to be “taken” by the men in his city in order to save his visitors engage in homosexuality. Is this a proper act of a father? I truly feel that the Bible is written and copied and altered by man through the years. It can be taken as a valued guidebook but to do as it says without question, especially in the Old Testiment is a very questionable choice. If you were to fight a war and then kill even the women, children and beast of that land as God directed in the Bible then would that not be, along with murder a human rights violation and crimes of war? Certainly not how a Christian should behave. Jesus spoke of forgiveness, love, and not judging. He taught us to take care of the needy. Yet I feel some people have the opposite view. Not all, clearly but some. Enough war and hatred has been waged in the name of God and other religions. My personal belief is to instruct my kids by Jesus’s own actions and those of other teachers who, in history, have given us the ability to behave clearly and compassionately. If we’re wrong and we get to heaven and find it so then let me be judged. I would prefer to be judged for having a kind, compassionate, caring heart that caused no one to miss the glory of heaven then to be judged as never having loved as Jesus loved. Are their marriages not strong enough to withstand about 1% of gay marriages, of course they are. I believe the comments come from fearing the different then judging the “sinner”. Bottom line Jesus said “do not judge” yet here we are doing that daily.

Cathy August 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

It was commented that the Bible changes as society changes. Really? Where is that found in the scriptures? The scriptures say:

“knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God, spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” 2 PETER 1:20-21

“ALL SCRIPTURE

in Hebrews, chapter 13, verse 8 that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.” It is man who makes these so called “changes” to try and justify there on purposes.

Gospel of John, chapter 1, verses 1-2; In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Christ said in the Gospel of John, chapter 14, verse 6; “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Cathy August 25, 2013 at 3:09 pm

CONTINUATION:

“ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 TIMOTHY 3:16

“Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever.” HEBREWS 13:8

May God bless your efforts as you search for the truth in the Holy Scriptures.

Cathy