1. Be yourself. Mindless conformity is a prison; express yourself authentically and don’t be afraid to stand out, but don’t go to extremes just to be different, or just prove you can. You don’t need orange hair, a nose ring or tattoos to be special. In the end, it’s more important to be respected than notorious.
2. Don’t expect too much or settle for too little. Don’t expect anyone else to make you happy and don’t allow others to treat you badly. Hang out with people who bring out the best in you, and be the kind of person who brings out the best in others.
3. Think of responsibility as a ticket to independence.,not a penalty. Be dependable and self-reliant. Dependability and self-reliance are the tickets to freedom and independence. Don’t waste energy resisting what you have to do. Instead, win others’ trust by doing what you should do.
4. Think ahead. The choices you make today will shape tomorrow. Remember that every act has a consequence. Don’t confuse fun with happiness or forget how temporary pleasure is. Be careful: just because it feels good doesn’t make it good.
5. Take charge of your own life. Your life is your ship; be the captain, not a passenger. Figure out what needs to be done to improve your life and make it happen. Your attitudes are more important than your aptitudes. You can’t control what happens to you, but you control what happens in you. Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional. Let go of resentments, grudges and regrets. Learn from them and move forward.