This is the promised Part Two of my list of words of wisdom for my daughter who just entered college.
- Take control of your life by taking control of your attitudes.
- Choose to be happy. Choose to be cheerful. Choose to be optimistic.
- Pursue your passions, but don’t confuse feelings with facts, fun with happiness, or pleasure with fulfillment.
- Listen to both your heart and your head.
- If you live a full life, there will be sadness, disappointment, and frustration, but tough times are temporary.
- Persist with the confidence that no negative emotion can survive your will to be happy.
- Be cautious, but don’t be afraid to risk failure.
- Learn from every setback, and, on important things, never, never quit.
- Live within your means; keep your needs simple.
- Never let your happiness depend on things.
- Become known for your honesty and integrity; be someone everyone trusts.
- Treat everyone with respect, even when they don’t seem to deserve it.
- Be someone others can count on, and find people you can count on.
- Be fair, kind, and compassionate even when you don’t feel like it.
- Choose friends who want the best for you and bring out the best in you.
- Be willing to love with all your heart, but don’t make your happiness depend on the love or approval of anyone.
- Insist on being treated with respect; do not make anyone a priority who only makes you an option.
- Finally, don’t settle for a little life. Fill it with purpose and meaning, and people worthy of your love and respect.
This is Michael Josephson reminding you that character counts.