We are glad you visited us to find this selection of quotes on a topic that means so much to me – children and parenting. The Josephson Institute is a nonprofit organization devoted to increasing the ethical quality of individual and personal decision making. I hope you’ll browse our other entries and subscribe to our What Will Matter blog at www.whatwillmatter.com (it’s free) and/or our What Will Matter Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WhatWillMatter?ref=hl. I think you will find lots of things you like.]
The Josephson institute is a nonprofit organization that depends on contributions from people like you. Please help us make a more ethical society or simply show your gratitude for whatever value you find in our work by making a tax-deductible donation at http://goo.gl/uUAix
Quotes about Children and Parenting
- We never know the love of our parents for us till we have become parents. — Henry Ward Beecher
- If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. — C.G. Jung,
- The country clubs, the cars, the boats, Your assets may be ample, / But the best inheritance / You can leave your kids / Is to be a good example. — Barry Spilchuk
- Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity, they think of you. — H. Jackson Brown
- My father didn’t tell me how to live, he lived, and let me watch him do it. — Clarence Budinton Kelland
- If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. — Abigail Van Buren
- Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. — Robert Fulghum
- Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be. — David Bly
- To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while. — Josh Billings
- Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy. — Robert A Heinlein
- It is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings. — Ann Landers
- The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them. — Frank A. Clark
- There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: One is roots. The other is wings. — Hodding Carter, Jr.
- Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. — Elizabeth Stone
- Always kiss your children goodnight — even if they’re already asleep. — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children, and no theories. — John Wilmot
- Kids spell love T-I-M-E. — John Crudele
- Your children need your presence more than your presents. — Jesse Jackson
- Children have more need of models than of critics. — Carolyn Coats
- If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others. — Haim Ginott
- The guys who fear becoming fathers don’t understand that fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man. The end product of child-raising is not the child but the parent. — Frank Pittman
- Insanity is hereditary — you get it from your kids. — Sam Levenson
- Likely as not, the child you can do the least with will do the most to make you proud. — Mignon McLaughlin
- When you teach your son, you teach your son’s son. — The Talmud
- What’s done to children, they will do to society. — Karl Menninger
- To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today. — Anonymous
- Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, than the raising of the next generation. — C. Everett Koop
- I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. — Harry S. Truman
- A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for. — Anonymous
What is your favorite quote?
You also may enjoy a collection of quotes on fathers and fatherhood at http://wp.me/p1YkHG-4CT and on mothers http://wp.me/p1YkHG-4wy
Please visit www.whatwillmatter.com for more interesting observations, quotes and images.
Other free resources you might like:
Josephson Institute’s 2012 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth: Results of the nationwide survey of more than 20,000 high school students.
Critical Educational Outcomes: Model Standards for Academic, Social, Emotional and Character Development: Guidelines to help you integrate social, emotional and character development strategies into a robust academic agenda.