We are glad you visited us to find this selection of quotes on a topic that means so much to me – children and parenting. The Josephson Institute is a nonprofit organization devoted to increasing the ethical quality of individual and personal decision making. I hope you’ll browse our other entries and subscribe to our What Will Matter blog at www.whatwillmatter.com (it’s free) and/or our What Will Matter Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WhatWillMatter?ref=hl. I think you will find lots of things you like.]
The Josephson institute is a nonprofit organization that depends on contributions from people like you. Please help us make a more ethical society or simply show your gratitude for whatever value you find in our work by making a tax-deductible donation at http://goo.gl/uUAix
Quotes about Children and Parenting
- We never know the love of our parents for us till we have become parents. — Henry Ward Beecher
- If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. — C.G. Jung,
- The country clubs, the cars, the boats, Your assets may be ample, / But the best inheritance / You can leave your kids / Is to be a good example. — Barry Spilchuk
- Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity, they think of you. — H. Jackson Brown
- My father didn’t tell me how to live, he lived, and let me watch him do it. — Clarence Budinton Kelland
- If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. — Abigail Van Buren
- Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. — Robert Fulghum
- Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be. — David Bly
- To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while. — Josh Billings
- Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy. — Robert A Heinlein
- It is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings. — Ann Landers
- The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them. — Frank A. Clark
- There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: One is roots. The other is wings. — Hodding Carter, Jr.
- Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. — Elizabeth Stone
- Always kiss your children goodnight — even if they’re already asleep. — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children, and no theories. — John Wilmot
- Kids spell love T-I-M-E. — John Crudele
- Your children need your presence more than your presents. — Jesse Jackson
- Children have more need of models than of critics. — Carolyn Coats
- If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others. — Haim Ginott
- The guys who fear becoming fathers don’t understand that fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man. The end product of child-raising is not the child but the parent. — Frank Pittman
- Insanity is hereditary — you get it from your kids. — Sam Levenson
- Likely as not, the child you can do the least with will do the most to make you proud. — Mignon McLaughlin
- When you teach your son, you teach your son’s son. — The Talmud
- What’s done to children, they will do to society. — Karl Menninger
- To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today. — Anonymous
- Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, than the raising of the next generation. — C. Everett Koop
- I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. — Harry S. Truman
- A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for. — Anonymous
What is your favorite quote?
You also may enjoy a collection of quotes on fathers and fatherhood at http://wp.me/p1YkHG-4CT and on mothers http://wp.me/p1YkHG-4wy
Please visit www.whatwillmatter.com for more interesting observations, quotes and images.
Other free resources you might like:
Josephson Institute’s 2012 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth: Results of the nationwide survey of more than 20,000 high school students.
Critical Educational Outcomes: Model Standards for Academic, Social, Emotional and Character Development: Guidelines to help you integrate social, emotional and character development strategies into a robust academic agenda.
Posters: What Will Matter I’m a Teacher: I Make Lives Note From Your Teacher: What I Want for You .
A monthly summary of articles in the Character Educator Blog. (See the most recent newsletter and subscribe here.)
What Will Matter Newsletter. A weekly roundup of inspirational quotes, posters and short essays from the What Will Matter blog. (See the most recent newsletter and subscribe here.)
Sportsmanship Blog and Newsletter. (See the blog here and subscribe here.