QUOTE: “Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Bernard Baruch

by Michael Josephson on March 29, 2012

in Quotes, Observations

[We are glad you visited us to find out the story on this well known quote. The Josephson Institute is a nonprofit organization devoted to increasing the ethical quality of individual and personal decision making.  I hope you'll browse our other entries and subscribe to our What Will Matter blog at www.whatwillmatter.com (it's free) and/or our What Will Matter Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WhatWillMatter?ref=hl.  I think you will find lots of things you like.]

The Josephson Institute is a nonprofit organization that depends on contributions from people like you. Please help us make a more ethical society or simply show your gratitude for whatever value you find in our work by making a tax-deductible donation at http://goo.gl/uUAix

Note: This utterance is often incorrectly attributed to Dr. Seuss.

The quote said to be from Dr. Seuss is actually widely circulated misattribution. “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind” actually came from FDR presidential advisor Bernard Baruch, about his dinner party seating arrangements.

According to  Wikiquote:

Bernard Mannes Baruch (19 August 1870 – 20 June 1965) was an American financier, stock market speculator, statesman, and presidential advisor. After his success in business, he devoted his time toward advising Democratic presidents Woodrow Wilson and Franklin D. Roosevelt on economic matters.

["Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter" was Baruch's] often-quoted response to Igor Cassini (a popular society columnist for the New York Journal American) when asked how he handled the seating arrangements for all those who attended his dinner parties. The quote first appeared in Shake Well Before Using: A New Collection of Impressions and Anecdotes Mostly Humorous (1948) by Bennett Cerf, p. 249. The full response was “I never bother about that. Those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind don’t matter.” This anecdote … has also become part of a larger expression, which has been commonly [and incorrectly] attributed to Dr. Seuss, even in print, but without citation of a specific work : “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Please visit www.whatwillmatter.com for more interesting observations, quotes and images.

Other free resources you might like:

Facebook.com/CharacterCounts   Twitter.com/CHARACTERCOUNTS

Josephson Institute’s 2012 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth: Results of the nationwide survey of more than 20,000 high school students.

Critical Educational Outcomes: Model Standards for Academic, Social, Emotional and Character DevelopmentGuidelines to help you integrate social, emotional and character development strategies into a robust academic agenda.

Posters: What Will Matter   I’m a Teacher: I Make Lives   Note From Your Teacher: What I Want for You .

A monthly summary of articles in the Character Educator Blog. (See the most recent newsletter and subscribe here.)

What Will Matter Newsletter. A weekly roundup of inspirational quotes, posters and short essays from the What Will Matter blog. (See the most recent newsletter and subscribe here.)

Sportsmanship Blog and Newsletter. (See the blog here and subscribe here.

Iris Eastburn February 21, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Michael Josephson February 23, 2013 at 2:05 am

Wow very impressive information. This post has received more contnuous hits than any other quote I’ve posted. Anyone have any idea why?

Angela March 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Well, I clicked here because I have this saying in a frame on my wall. . . attributed to Dr. Suess. I just saw someone attribute it to this other guy, so I googled to find out what the real deal is.

Deanna March 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I googled the quote trying to figure out which Seuss book it’s from and that’s how I ended up here. Thanks for the info.

Harshank March 6, 2013 at 10:02 am

well i was looking for this particular quote. I had read it almost 10 years back. Recently this quote again came into my mind but i could not recollect it and i googled it n saw it on this site.
Thank you.

Deborah September 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I googled it as I have hit a negative patch due to a decision I made and am trying to dismiss negative head chatter with positive vibes . The quote helps and I wanted to look further into its origin.

gerorge November 4, 2013 at 10:39 pm

sorry but it was not he who said it first either. This expression was used before..
“Quote Investigator: There is no substantive evidence that Theodor Seuss Geisel wrote or said this expression. Researchers have been unable to locate the statement in any of his books. The second part of the statement was in circulation by the 1930s. The earliest instance located by QI was printed in 1938 in a journal based in London and written for municipal and county engineers. The phrase was used comically to discount the criticisms directed at housing designs. The words were enclosed in quotation marks suggesting that

Mr. Davies himself admitted that it was highly controversial and open to the quip was already known in 1938: 1criticism; but criticism concerned both mind and matter. “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind!”

Lord Kuz June 24, 2014 at 1:31 am

Got a reference for that George?
If indeed that was written in a London based journal…. I would still say that we can put it down as a quote by Baruch.

nnnnnnyhyyyyy April 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

i agree that “Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Bernard Baruch